Friday, January 31, 2014

5 on Friday! {Skincare Routine}

Today, I just have to wish my favorite man a very Happy 27th Birthday!
B's birthday is actually tomorrow, and we will be celebrating with family then, but I thought I would go ahead and do a little shout-out to him today...

 Happy Birthday, honey! I am so glad that we are together for yet another birthday. The last six birthdays together have been amazing, and I am looking forward to celebrating many more with you. I just know that this year will be your best year yet. After all, this year you become an official MD. Woohoo! And what makes this year even more special? Caleb is here to celebrate with us! 


In other news, last week I shared a few of my go-to makeup products. Today, I thought I'd continue the sharing with a little peek into my skincare routine. As I've mentioned before, after having Caleb I noticed a difference in my skin and hair. Namely, that everything got a lot dryer. I've always had dry, sensitive skin, so I've had to be careful with the products I use. I don't like to clog up my pores with heavy moisturizers, and I love to use exfoliants, but have to be mindful of my fair skin. With the changes that pregnancy brought, I've had to be even more careful. The following routine has worked well for me.

1. Exfoliation 
I recently purchased a Clarisonic Mia 2. I was hesitant to spend the money on this product, as $150 is definitely an investment for me. However, I did my research, read the glowing reviews, and knew that it was something I would definitely use. So, after receiving a gift card for Christmas, I decided to go for the splurge. And am so happy that I did. The sensitive brush head on the Clarisonic is gentle enough to keep my skin from feeling raw and scratched, like it someones does after I use other exfoliating products. And I love how smooth my face feels after I wash with it. I typically use my Clarisonic and Olay Foaming Face Wash 4 to 5 nights a week and just wash with the face wash by itself on the other nights.



2. Lotion (Nighttime)
Every night before bed, I apply a nighttime serum or lotion. I go back and forth between 2 different brands right now - Boots No 7 Lift and Luminate Night Cream and Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum. I like them both for different reasons. The Boots cream is thick and luxuriant and really makes my skin feel nourished, while the Olay serum makes my skin feel smooth and rejuvenated. For now, I plan on continuing to using them both on alternating nights.


Boots No7 Protect and Perfect Night Cream - 1.69 oz.
Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum Fragrance Free Moisturizer - 1.7 oz

3. Lotion (Daytime)
I wear a moisturizing lotion with SPF under my makeup every day. After rinsing my face every morning, I apply the Olay Regenerist Superstructure Cream. Even on days where I don't wear makeup, I still find time to slap some lotion on. I love this Olay one because it's thick and rich, but never makes me break out. It is SPF 30, so I feel confident that my skin is protected all day long. And the price is modest compared to some of the lotions out there. My dermatologist always tells me that my skin looks great, so I guess I'm doing something right!
Olay Regenerist Superstructure Cream with  SPF 30 - 1.7 oz

4. Water Rinses
In the mornings, I avoid washing my face with any kind of washes or soaps. Washing too much can strip much-needed oils from your skin and leave you even dryer. Especially during the cold winter months when heaters are blowing constantly, and the air is dry and cold. Every morning, I simply rinse my face with warm water, and then follow it up with a splash of cold water to wake myself up and make my skin feel fresh and primed for my lotion and makeup routine.

5. Extreme Moisture
Lately, due to the colder-than-normal temperatures we've been experiencing, I've been taking my moisture routine to the next level. I use Aquaphor on both Caleb and I (he seems to have dry skin too, from what we can tell). I used to use Vaseline, but the Aquaphor seems to work better and doesn't clog my pores like the Vaseline has a tendency to do. I don't put it all over my face, instead I confine it to the areas in which I seem to struggle the most. Which is usually right around my nose and chin during the winter months. I also put it right around my eyes if I feel like they need a deep 'quench'. I even put it inside my nose when I start feeling really dried out there too - especially when I've been congested and had to blow my nose a lot. It's super inexpensive. And it works great!


Aquaphor Healing Ointment Tube - 1.75 oz

As usual, today I am linking up with Natasha and the rest of the sweet girls listed below for the fave 5 on Friday link-up. Be sure to link up and join in to share your Friday five this week!

Five on Friday


And don't forget that I will be doing a little Q&A post next week, and will be answering any and all questions from you lovely ladies. Be sure to leave any questions that you may have in my comments section today so that I can have answers for you next week. Now's your chance to get to know me a little better, so please feel free to take advantage of it:)


Now, I am off to make a birthday cake for my sweetheart. 
Happy Friday!

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture of you and B! STUNNING!

    I love my Clarisonic too. It's awesome and totally worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ok everyone owns one of those clarisonic brushes which means eventually I'm going to have to break down and try it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday B!!! And you are just too gorgeous! Love me some Aquaphor . but I am a Vaseline on the lips girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, you can't go wrong with a clarisonic. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Clarisonic is the best investment for dry skin! It has helped mine sooo much. I've heard so many things about the Boots cream that I may have to check it out.. can't beat the price for a night cream! Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I meant to tell you I "interviewed" my husband for my 5 on Friday. Mine was far less successful than yours. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I am going to have to try this clarisonic since everyone seems to love it!! I too have a dry skin (my changed when I moved to the South for some reason) but another great line you may want to dry is H2O it's all natural and marine based and the hydrating gel has made a world of difference for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted this....you skin is beautiful! I'm going out and getting ALL of these asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your sweet husband, B! Love the picture of the two of you. Your skin is gorg my friend. I am LOVING the Clarisonic, so thankful for your recommendation. I can only use it once a day, about 4 times a week too because of my sensitive skin, but, I am loving it so far!! Love these fun peeks into your routine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy bday to your hubs!!!! And, girl, my whole family has an Aquaphor addition. The best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the summer, I wash my face twice a day, but I've definitely toned in down during this dry winter! And like you, I don't always wear makeup, but a sunscreen/moisturizer takes less than a minute, and I think it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you posted this as your skin is so beautiful! I have the opposite problem. My skin is on the oilier side...ugh. Thanks for your tips!!

    Last but not least HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO B!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to B! Love the pictures of you two...so beautiful!
    I have the Olay cleansing thingy, because I didnt want to spend so much on the Clarisonic but I've heard good things about it. Maybe one day I'll get one....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the suggestions! I love my Mia I got for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! This is awesome! I need to find a new lotion - I'll definitely be checking these out!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! So please, take a minute and share a few words with me:)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS