Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Brain Dump for Wednesday

It's been a while since I've done a good ol' brain dump. So I figured today was as good a day as any. Here's a peek at what's been on my mind lately:

I hesitate to admit this. Because it totally makes me "that" mom. But here it goes: B and I have yet to go out on a real date without Caleb. Yes, he's 8 months old. And, yes. That means that we have gone 8 months without going on a planned, just-the-two-of-us date night. Have no fear, this will be remedied soon.

We are having our taxes done this weekend. I want to be excited about it, but I'm just not. Not after last year's super disappointment.

I am planning to introduce ankle cuffs into my shoe options for this year. These might work.
Luxe Stiletto Sandals

I'm finally back up to my pre-pregnancy weight. Might still be a pound or two less than normal, but still right within the range I was hoping to get back to. It's taken me almost 9 months to get here, and I think I'm finally here because Caleb is nursing less, and I am requiring less calories to keep up with him. I know it may sound strange to want to gain weight, but when all of your clothes hang in an unflattering manner, and you don't have the money to buy more, gaining a few lbs is a worthwhile goal.

Dessert has definitely been involved in getting those missing pounds back.

I've been a little stressed about what to wear for Caleb's dedication at the end of this month. Honestly, I already purchased a dress. But here's the thing: it was full price. Ugh. I don't remember the last time I paid full price for anything. I am seriously the coupon/discount queen. But I tried the darn thing on, thinking it was on sale. And it was perfect. And then I got to the register with it and realized, of course, it wasn't on sale. So, the jury is still out on whether or not this dress will be staying in my closet...

Speaking of purchases, as I mentioned yesterday, I am trying so hard to avoid all things shopping-related. I have been deleting store emails without even looking at the special deals offered. I don't go on Zulily, or any of my favorite shopping sites anymore. And I throw away coupons, or give them away, before I can even entertain the thought of using them. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to hop back on the shopping express, because I will admit that I miss it. Miss it bad. But for now, a limited budget is our life!

Despite the budget, I had a minute of crazy when I realized that Zara had re-stocked this necklace that Duchess Kate was seen wearing last fall. The $39.50 necklace. I was on the website and trying to click 'Add to Basket' when I came to my senses and realized that it was something I definitely didn't need, and shouldn't waste our very limited resources on right now. Ok, I'm lying. The only reason that necklace is not on its way here right now is because it sold out again before I could make it mine...
In a funny coincidence, my sweet friend Alisha shared on her blog yesterday that she had done the exact same thing. This is why she and I are friends:)

I really wish that carrot sticks tasted like donut holes. Can someone not invent that?

According to Gap, the acid wash jean is making a comeback. I love me some Gap. But I have to respectfully disagree on this topic. "Hey, Gap. The 1980's called. They want their acid wash back." Thanks, but no thanks.

That's all I've got for today! Be sure to stop by tomorrow and check out my Q&A post for some answers to the questions you all had for me last week. It'll be fun!


11 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm dreading getting our taxes done. I should just do it and get it over with, though! And I think you should keep the dress - even if it was full price! Since you never buy anything full price and this is such a special day, you deserve to treat yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay--my baby boy was over 7 months old before we left him for a date night. And we haven't been on one since June for our anniversary! :) ha!!

    I'm an accountant at a public CPA firm and I do some taxes during tax season. With Caleb adding to your personal exemption amount, as well as the child tax credit, hopefully you will not be bummed after getting your taxes done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke & I will be working on our taxes this week/weekend...thank goodness he has a degree in finance. I, on the other hand, would just pay someone to do it. :)

    I was reading your part about the necklace & I was thinking to myself didn't she just post about it...nope, it was Alisha. :) I knew I saw it somewhere.

    As for the dress, dear girl, sometimes it's okay to treat yourself. And this sweet friend, is one of those times. :) Just keep it & make sure you wear it again & again & again & again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have our taxes being done by MG's dad...we're definitely looking forward to getting some money back....we've probably already spent it 3 times over with all of the wedding stuff we have going on, too. Ugh. I've been trying to be better about NOT shopping, too. I've been deleting emails etc so that I just dont tempt myself. Even Loft (altho if it says a reeeeally good deal, I may look because that's when I get the majority of my things from them--but I haven't recently). With the wedding coming up, I have to be a lot more careful and I just haven't been lately. Not like I need to anyway.
    I feel you on the dress....I bought a full priced dress for New Years because it was PERFECT, and because I could wear it at our rehearsal dinner. After that, not sure where I'll be able to again, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the shout out, sweet girl, we are friends for many reasons, one of them being our love of everything Kate. :)

    JUST last night my husband and I were talking about how we have not been out alone, by ourselves, since Alex was born. I felt like such a bad wife. We agreed that after next week, we are planning a good old fashion date night.

    So happy you are getting back to your pre-pregnancy weight. That is awesome, I know it has been really hard for you to get your weight back up, that makes me so happy!

    Ugh... dress shopping. It is so hard to justify full priced dresses, but, if you love it - I agree with Amy, you should keep it. Although, you are so gorgeous you could pull of anything, sweet girl! :) Best of luck, that is always such a tough decision to make.

    PS: Love the ankle cuff shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that necklace!! Hope you get an adult only night soon!! I would imagine it's hard to get out of the house without a little babers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shopping too and being on a tight budget for the last several years reallllllly sucks. I look forward to Christmas and my birthday so much more now and ask for gift cards or a certain item I've been wanting for a long time!

    We've only been on three date nights without our baby, and she's 18 months old! So don't feel bad, it's hard to leave them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great brain dump as I enjoyed every little word. It was comforting to know of another mom who has been quite dateless post-baby. And I only wish gaining weight was my problem, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No to acid wash. Yes to carrots tasting like donuts. If only, man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. No acid wash! HAHAHA And when you figure out how to make carrots taste like donuts, LET ME KNOW :) Can we add celery to that list too???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, girl, you guys need a date night!!! That necklace is to die for! How do I not know about these things until it's later than too late? And I'm with you: NO ACID WASH Gap. Please.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! So please, take a minute and share a few words with me:)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS